TOKYO A FISHERMEN VILLAGE AT THE CENTRE OF THE WORLD: 7 SIGHTS OF TOKYO WITH DAVID PICARD MODERN GLOBETROTTER ON HIS WAY TO HIS 67760 KM CYCLETOUR

One of the most iconic pictures of Japan: Sumo in Tokyo

Tokyo was originally a small fishing village named Edo, which means "estuary". Its name was changed to Tokyo (tō (east) + kyō (capital) when it became the imperial capital in 1868.

Tokyo prefecture is today the world's most populous metropolitan area with upwards of 35 million people and the world's largest urban agglomeration economy, ahead of the New York metropolitan area in 2008 survey. The city hosts 51 of the Fortune Global 500 companies, the highest number of any city and is one of the three "command centres" for the world economy, along with New York City and London.

From Tokyo we start to explore Japan with the help of the French World Traveller David Picard.

Thousands of lights - Panorama of Tokyo

David Picard from Vannes, France, is a real traveller: adventurous and daring.
David on his bike in Vannes

In 2014 he is going to start his travel around the world:  67760 Km by Bike across the five continents.

It is not the first big great adventure for David. In 2011 David also walked in Japan for eight months exploring this amazing country.

We will meet with David every month and he will introduce us to Japan and will tell us about his preparations for his new long world travel.

We start today visiting Tokyo with him.

The streets


Hello David! How are you doing?
One question about your future world tour and one question about Japan. OK?

First of all: describe your self. Who is this adventurous man who is going to cycle 67760 Km around the world?

My name is David Picard, I am 30 y. o. and I want to cycle all around the world! I want to meet the people of the many countries I will visit. I started with Japan in 2011 and then I said to myself: if you have something in mind you should do it, so I started to plan this long world tour!

Let's talk about Japan, when you have been there? Which was your itinerary ?

I travelled there in 2011 for eight months. I started in Tokyo. From Tokyo I went to Yokohama and then to Nagoya. From Nagoya I moved to Osaka, Kyoto, Nagaoka, Tsuruoka and then back in Tokyo again!

Tokyo at night
Tell us about the itinerary of your world tour now that will start the 15 of January 2014 . Which countries are you going to visit in your world tour?

I will start cycling in Europe, then the Middle East,  Asia,  then I would move to America, first North America, then Central and South America. From America I will move to Africa, explore Africa and then in Europe again.

It's an amazing itinerary! Tell us about Tokyo now, what you liked best there and what you would absolutely recommend seeing if I have only three days to spend in Tokyo?

Tokyo is a beautiful city but if you have three day I definitely recommend to allow time to visit Kyoto, it is a place magic between the land and the sea and with a wonderful golden temple in the forest and the people is very welcoming!

The Golden Temple in Kyoto
Back on your world tour: what's your equipment for such a long journey?

A Bike, bags, two sleeping bags for different climates, a khaki tent, 4 pairs of shorts for cycling, two pairs of cycle-pants, 5 shirts, 2 pairs of pants, 3 pairs of shorts, 6 underwear, 4 pairs of socks and my passport!

Tell us about the photos we published in this post. Many of the photos are taken at night, when the city litterally shines with thousands of lights. How you find Tokyo at night?

Tokyo at night is magnificent, shining with thousands of lights.  It is magic for your eyes especially when you can enjoy the view from your room in one of the many hotels at the top floors of some skyscrapers.  It is really a magic moment!



And finally, what you are expecting to achieve at the end of this great adventure around the world?

When my journey would be finished and I will be back in France I will write a book about different cooking recipes and styles around the world. The money of every 2nd book sold will support the projects of the associations that will support my journey.
I will speak about my journey with journalists and other people interested and help other people to prepare their world tour.

Colourful contrast 
And what impressed more about the people in Tokyo? 

The people in Tokyo really impressed me. Many were very taken by my adventure and welcomed me with open arms.

Thanks a lot David for your great photos and for telling us about the amazing adventure you are planning. 

Read the 2nd part of the interview with David Picard and read about the amazing city of Osaka in Japan click here